Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Above the Flood Line

Have you ever heard of an Elevation Certificate?  Perhaps if your insurance has been asking you to get one, it is a very familiar term. If not,  FEMA, or the Federal Emergency Management Agency, has developed certain guidelines for communities located in  flood hazard areas to allow homeowners to obtain flood insurance.      
So what exactly does this mean?  Certain areas have been designated as  "SFHA's" or Special Flood Hazard Areas by FEMA.  The SFHAs indicate there is a potential for the area to be affected by rising water levels and flood zones.  An Elevation Certificate is a document prepared by a Land Surveyor to provide accurate information to insurance providers about the relationship between a homeowners house and property and the Base Flood Elevation (BFE).  The BFE is determined by FEMA and is subject to change. Therefore, specific information about a house or property may show the risk of flooding is less, and thus lowers or removes the obligation to obtain insurance that some loan providers require.
Our experienced Land Surveyors have completed many Elevation Certificates over the years.  If your insurance is asking you for one, or if you have questions about the process, the professionals at Hogan Land Services are here to help.

See you on our next view from the field!

Hogan Land Services Team

No comments:

Post a Comment